In 1923 two teenage immigrants from Greece, John Mitsos and George Papazekos opened Coney Island Lunch on West Washington St. in New Castle, PA.
Their restaurant specialized in selling Greek-style hot dogs with their own secret chili sauce. In March 1971 Mitsos and Papazekos added a second location and renamed their business “M&P Coney Island”. It’s because of their great popularity and success that New Castle adopted the nickname of “Hot Dog Capital of the World.”
The children of John E. Mitsos (nephew of the original Mitsos) now have ownership of the business and they are excited to carry on the family tradition with the assistance of their children. We have been a family owned company for 100 years and plan to keep it that way. We know that many of our fans grew up with us and we are committed to serving many generations to come.